Cirencester Town Council, working with the local community and authorities, has responded to concerns with regard to increasing resilience and support and the mitigation of emergencies.
The Council has accordingly produced the following documents to increase understanding and assist residents in dealing with emergencies.
In an emergency, contact Cotswold District Council, the lead authority for responding to emergencies, on Tel: 0845 303 9729 (24 hrs).
Top tips to prepare for colder weather:
• Look out for friends and family who may be vulnerable to the cold and ensure they have access to warm food and drinks and are managing to heat their homes adequately.
• Try to maintain indoor temperatures to at least 18C, particularly if you are not mobile, have long term illness or are 65 or over.
• Stay tuned for weather forecasts, ensure you are stocked with food and medications in advance, have deliveries or ask a friend to help.
• Take weather into account when planning your activity over the following days.
• If eligible seek entitlements and benefits such as Winter Fuel Payments and Cold Weather Payments, which are available to some.
• If you meet the criteria register for priority service with your energy and water suppliers.
• Avoid exposing yourself to cold or icy outdoor conditions if you are at a higher risk of cold-related illness or falls
• Discuss with friends and neighbours and try to make arrangements for clearing any snowfall and ice which might form at the front of your house and public walkways nearby.