In 1948 Jim Loveday and Bill Stallworthy were founder members of the Cirencester Motorcycle Club. They were instrumental in getting racing going at Chedworth Aerodrome for bikes and they held several races there in the period 1948-50. Amongst the famous riders who competed were the late George Brown on his Vincent machine.
In 1950 Sir David Gamble chaired a committee, which formed the present Cirencester Car Club and incorporated the Motorcycle Club.
Other founder members were Bill Stallworthy, Don Heaven (Bridges Garage), Gordon Philips (son of the late S J Philips of Kemble), Herbert Franklin, John Lampitt, Tony Broxton (Cirencester Garages) and B Nelson. The first major event was a 400 mile rally, which went to Aberystwyth and Chester before returning to Cirencester and this was in 1953. Over the next few years the Club concentrated on this annual rally and autotests (a driving test against time). Jim Loveday, who is still a member, and the late Phil Smith competed in a Ford Zephyr in these rallies.
During the sixties several Members drove autocross cars and were very successful. Charlie Todd of Oaksey was amongst those, driving an XK150. Alan Shaw in an MG Midget, Lou Roper in a Triumph Vitesse. This culminated in the Club running the Players' Number Six Autocross series of races for a number of years.
During the 1970's Lord Bathurst invited the Club to run stage rallies in the Cirencester Park. These were sponsored by Arkells Brewery and were a great success with the top national drivers competing. This was followed by the RAC asking the Club to organise a major stage on the International RAC Rally.
Also in the seventies the Club ran many fine sprint meetings at Wroughton Aerodrome near Swindon and gained a reputation for good events. Included in these were the Cirbat Road Rally organised with the Bath Motor Club and production car trials.
Sunday, 29th March 2015