One of the oldest fairs in the county is making its way to Cirencester in October as the town welcomes Nichols Amusements of the Showmen’s Guild of Great Britain for the return of the annual Mop fair. The popular fair is being held in the Market Place from 12pm to 10pm on Monday the 9th and Monday the 16th October offering fairground rides and stalls.
Dating back to the 12th century, the Mop Fair takes its name from its original purpose, which was a hiring event, where servants carried the tools of their trade to show that they were available for work. In recent times Mop Fairs have become funfair for the community to enjoy. Marshal Nichols’ family have been bringing the Mop to Cirencester for generations and has worked closely with the Town Council to deliver the Mop each year.
Roads closures will occur from midday on Sunday and will open again at midnight on Monday.
The following roads will be subject to closures with signed diversions in place. There will be access for residents affected but deliveries should be arranged outside the closure times.
• Dollar Street closed at Thomas Street Junction.
• Cricklade Street closed at Castle Street Junction
• Castle Street closed at Silver Street Junction
• Dyer Street closed at North Way Junction
• Black Jack Street closed at Park Street Junction
• Coxwell Street closed at Thomas Street Junction