Open Air Swimming Pool
The Open Air Swimming Pool can be found by following the signposted footpath commencing at the junction of Cecily Hill and Park Street.
The pool itself is one of the oldest in the country, and was built during the winter of 1869/70 by the local business men who launched a limited company offering shares for sale at £5 each. Lord Bathurst leased the land to the company and donated £25. The private venture was handed over to the council in 1896, and they bought the lease of the land from Lord Bathurst in 1931.
In 1973 the council decided to close it, but a band of volunteers took it over and have run it for the past 37 years for the people of Cirencester, who have enjoyed the beautiful setting ever since.
Extensive improvements have been carried out, including a sun terrace, installation of a new boiler for the lovely HEATED Spring water and improved facilities for changing. In 1993 a new tuck shop was built to cater for the increasing number of swimmers.
The pool's open season is from the end of May to September, during which time both young and old can enjoy facilities, including swimming lessons. The pool is also available for private functions on application.
Details from the Secretary on 01285 653947/658172 or email:email@example.com
Up to date information is always available at www.cirenopenair.co.uk