Bingham Library Trust
Daniel George Bingham (pictured), a former townsman, built and endowed the former Bingham Library and the Bingham Hall in King Street for the benefit of residents of the town and the surrounding district. They were opened in 1905 and 1908 respectively and both are overseen by Trusts.
The original Bingham Library was located at 1 Dyer Street, which has been refurbished and during 2005, the former Council Chamber was converted to a Gallery. The Gallery, named the 'Bingham Gallery and Conference Suite', was opened on 21st September 2005, as the culmination of the 100-year celebration of the opening of the Library. The Gallery displays a range of the Trust's art collection, together with the Town Council's Cirencester Millennium Embroidery.
The library function was taken over by Gloucestershire County Council in 1975 when the new Bingham Library building in The Waterloo was opened. The Trust also owns a large building known as Dyer House, two residential properties and allotments.
The Trust funds newspapers and periodicals for the library and the microfilming of all available copies of the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard since 1837. A viewer-printer also provided by the Trustees ensures that users can copy their chosen extracts at modest cost. The scheme also provides for the promotion of education and appreciation of art, including music, in Cirencester. The Trust accordingly considers grant awards to persons who reside in Cirencester and organisations whose aims are within the scheme's parameters.
For further information visit www.binghamlibrarytrust.org.uk